A place for everyone to rant about the rights and wrongs of iRacing!
Toby Bushnell
iRacer

Back from the sim racing dead!

by Toby Bushnell Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:33 pm

Hey all :!:

Hope sim racing and life in general is treating you all well :?:

I moved house recently and as part of the deal I have a dedicated space for sim racing now, so can start to re-introduce this beautiful hobby to my life that I have been missing now for some years. I re-activated my iRacing account a few days ago and did a couple of races in the official Ruf series. I even survived 2 out 3 so far relatively unscathed! :shock: :lol: The years away from sim racing have not been kind to my pace but I am enjoying it as much as ever :D I have a daughter now so I doubt I will clock up the next 800 races as fast as the first. Maybe in 15 years I can get her a matching race pod and we can run family team enduros :mrgreen: I recall that years ago there was a hosted series by simracing.org.uk in rFactor 1 which removed ballast from the car based on 'real life' commitments like wife and kids. I could do with some of that for a pace boost right now ;)

Fantastic to see TFR team in such good health thanks to it's current management.

I started following TFR on Twitter & Facebook and will be cheering for you guys whenever I see you on streams or on track. I hope to cross paths with some of you, new and old, on the track sometime soon (in any official series you might run). I might even hold up your rival 0.01 longer than normal when you both lap me :lol:

Toby

p.s. The current TFR paints are stunning! Website is looking great too.
Sascha Lamp
Team Driver

iRacing ID: 166265

Re: Back from the sim racing dead!

by Sascha Lamp Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Hey Toby and welcome from the dead:D

great to hear from you again! The team is doing really well and as you might have seen on our Twitter and Facebook streams we just had a pretty great success for the team in the NEO series.

Other than that, the team has massively changed since you left. I mean, I haven't met you yet. We talked a few times over the forums IIRC, but that's it. And most of the active members even joined the team after me, so lots of new faces. But maybe you recognize some others ;)

Anyway, due to simplicity we're using Discord most of the time. I'm gonna send you details so that you can join us over there and have the odd chat with us. And if you're fancy, we're doing a little bit of fun racing tonight as we do usually on Mondays.
"When you're racing, it’s life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting." (Steve McQueen)
Toby Bushnell
iRacer

by Toby Bushnell Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks for the welcome Sascha :) I will be sure to come hang out on the Discord server when I'm racing (usually 8pm UK and later).
Georg Gruber
Team Driver

iRacing ID: 55042

by Georg Gruber Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Welcome back from one of the new guys! You'd be surprised how often you still get mentioned by people knowing TFR.

Toby Bushnell wrote:The current TFR paints are stunning!

I'm so glad you said that :lol:
By my deeds I honour him, V8.
Jake Robson
iRacer

iRacing ID: 164590

by Jake Robson Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Another hi from one of the new guys :P but importantly what's your view on COTA?
Phil Roberts
Team Driver

iRacing ID: 19444

by Phil Roberts Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:01 pm

Hey, good to see you about. I've joined since your time. I seem to remember your name though, were you about in some of the rFactor leagues back in the day? Like GRC (used to love those touring car races)?
Toby Bushnell
iRacer

by Toby Bushnell Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks chaps.

COTA... hmm... I've never really raced there, unless you count a few laps in Forza. Turns 1 through 5 seem the most fun but after that, I feel like the whole place would benefit from grass or gravel around the circuit instead of acres of tarmac run off. As Mark Webber affectionately described one of the modern F1 circuits, paraphrasing... "We could have saved ourselves the effort of coming here and just put out some cones at Heathrow airport" !

Hey Phil - Yeah, I'm pretty sure we shared the track sometimes. I ran a few seasons in the GRC touring car championship in rF1 along with Mike Wrightson, Simon Meluish and Gymer (team shark) brothers. I think I also remember seeing you in some of the UK club races organised by Tony Rickard back when that was a thing... maybe it still is.
David Barraclough
Team Driver

iRacing ID: 143367

by David Barraclough Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:54 pm

Welcome back Toby! A few things are different, a few things are the same.... have you tried some of the new tracks on iRacing yet? Maybe Le Mans or the Nordschleife?
Toby Bushnell
iRacer

by Toby Bushnell Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi David - Yes thanks! Most content is new to me now. I think one of the most recently added cars before I last drove was the old Ford GT!! I looked out for a hosted session with you guys last night but didn't see one so ran some laps in Testing at Nords with the Porsche. Very satisfying! When I wasn't wrapping it round a nearby barrier. Do you guys disable presence info within iRacing? I think I have most of you on my friends or studied list but it never showed up you guys being in a session, just online. Or maybe it only displays rich presence info for official series? Not really a fan of the Le Mans circuit but I've never really raced it much in any sim/game. I don't own it in iRacing yet. The long straights between the chicanes get a bit dull but probably not in MC racing or in a good competitive field, so probably will enjoy it in a better environment.
Sascha Lamp
Team Driver

iRacing ID: 166265

by Sascha Lamp Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Toby Bushnell wrote:Do you guys disable presence info within iRacing? I think I have most of you on my friends or studied list but it never showed up you guys being in a session, just online. Or maybe it only displays rich presence info for official series?

That doesn't work really, as lots of stuff on the website right now.

Yesterday we did a bit of practice for DGFX (coming up this Saturday) and some fun FGT vs FGTE afterwards which I shared on the monday_races channel on Discord (have a look there for our Monday events as we're usually doing something different.

I think during this week most of us are busy doing DGFX practice and maybe the odd IMSA race or even something else. Or let us know if you have another idea.
"When you're racing, it’s life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting." (Steve McQueen)
Toby Bushnell
iRacer

by Toby Bushnell Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Cool. No stress :) Good to know it's not just me seeing the presence thing not working!
Jasper Groeneweg
Team Driver

iRacing ID: 43111

by Jasper Groeneweg Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Hey Toby! Good to hear from you and things are going well :D In a bit of limbo myself at the moment with regards to racing, but things have settled down and summer is officially over now, so I might be making a return myself as well. A lot has changed with iRacing since you left, there have been loads of improvements and features added. And much more to come, there should be lots of stuff for you to discover :mrgreen:
Toby Bushnell
iRacer

by Toby Bushnell Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Hey, thanks Jasper. Yes, loads of changes to say the least. I'm a bit underwhelmed with so many of the new GT cars having ABS and TC, though. I've also been finding myself need to lose about 1.5k iRating to get myself out of the top splits. So much time out and being unfamiliar with the cars its quite brutal finding yourself in the top split. Still, that mission is pretty much accomplished now :) Makes me wish iRating was car specific. DGFX seems like a good series with their choice of cars. Hope you feel the bug and enjoy getting back to it soon!
Jasper Groeneweg
Team Driver

iRacing ID: 43111

by Jasper Groeneweg Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:01 pm

Oh yeah I hear you, not a fan of the GT3 cars myself either. The Porsche Cup car is very very good though, and no ABS and TC (although flappy paddles). Also the GTE cars are great, they do have TC but you barely notice it imo.
pedro van baelen
Team Driver

iRacing ID: 46306

by pedro van baelen Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:59 am

Looks like I should visited the forum more.

Welcome from also a member that you probably never heard from [emoji16]
Return to General iRacing chat